Electronic Low Voltage light

Here is the answer from my 83 Owner's Manual:

Page 9

Charge System Light
An electronic low voltage indicator light
circuit takes the place of a conventional
ammeter.  This circuit, with the light labeled
VOLTS, actually monitors the charging
system, rather than just the alternator.

Activation of the light under heavy electric
loads during idle, particularly in cold weather,
is normal.  The light should go out when the
engine speed is increased.

UNDER ANY CONDITION, IF THE
INDICATOR LIGHT STAYS LIGHTED
AT NORMAL OPEN ROAD DRIVING