Voltage light on 80s Imps

=========================
"Dick Benjamin" <DickB@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Subject: Re: IML: Little Red Lights
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 20:19:23 -0800
I have puzzled over the action of the "voltage" light on the EFI cars.
It
does, as Neil says, light briefly when the car is first entered, then go
out.   All 4 of mine have done this, so I assume it is normal.  I will
one
day take the time to analyze the circuit to see what they are trying to
indicate.   I do know that it will stay on if the alternator fails -
that's
all I care about.

Dick Benjamin
=========================
Guys,

You are correct.  The "voltage" light will come on when you open
the door.  It will also come on when you pull up on the door handle
to turn the interior lights on.

-Duh.  Now that my frozen brain is thawed out, I realize exactly
what Neil is talking about.

I have always used that light to check the condition of the battery
during the winter when my car is in storage.  If I pull up on the
door handle, and the "voltage" light stays on for 5 or 6 seconds,
I know that the battery is down a bit.  If the light flickers quickly
and goes right out, I know that the battery is up to snuff.

For what it's worth, I have used this for years as a "Voltage Low" light.

I will check my manual when I get a chance to see if it says anything
about
it.

Dan Wing
Marcy, NY  USA