New Member, Edmund T. Villasana (1967)

Quoting Dick Benjamin <DickB@xxxxxxxxx>:

> It is a simple bolt-on job to replace the front end sheetmetal of a 67
> with
> 68 equivalents, the only problem being that the side trim is different,
> and
> you will have side marker lights in the front and not in the back.

So, Dick, they would have to replace the fenders and bumpers too, otherwise the
67 bumper will not be compatible with the 68 grill.  Many prefer the styling of
the 67 grill, and I can see its unique design.  However, I like the better
frontal protection of the 68 bumper that is a vouple of inches taller, and the
grill wrap arounds on the fenders may be a bit more durable than the lenses
since they are out of cast steel (but they are not as tough as they look, they
are a bit brittle).

> has brass.  The dashes are otherwise identical.   The upholstery is
> different.

>From a 67 LeBaron and and the recent "Collectible Automobile" article, it
>seems
that for the LeBaron, the leather interior was identical.  Same for the Sedan,
but I do not know about the coupes and the 4 door crowns.

> One can only guess why the front end was changed.   It would probably
> be
> wise to take the car to an alignment shop and have them inspect the
> frame
> and undercarriage for old damage and welding.

The good news is that the front subframes of these cars are unbelievably
strong.  From inspection, it seems there is more steel up front than even the
earlier body-on-frame Imperials.  But if the frame is bent, it can be removed
from the car.  Unlike most unibodies, the front subframe is attached with bolts
on the body (10 large bolts if I recall under the firewall).  Then, it could be
straightened, or simple replaced from a too far gone donor car.  But I think
its hard to bend this frame.

D^2, 2x68s