81-83 EGR valves.Longish.

Leo,

Make sure you ordered a new gasket with the EGR valve, the gasket is
metal in construction and should not as Dick suggest require any sealant
but if you do have a leak from the new gasket you could use a thin coating
of the white exhaust pipe sealant as the EGR is dealing with the same gases
as in the exhaust.

When you have removed the EGR valve get a good torch and have a look
into the ports that pass the exhaust gases too and from the EGR valve,
you may find that the inboard of the two holes blocked with carbon.

If the ports are carboned up and you haven't fitted the HSA back on yet
you may as well remove the intake as well to remove the carbon from
the blocked  passageways which will allow you to replace another source
of vacuum problems (the intake gaskets). I did this last summer, it is a
time
consuming messy job but worth doing as it (if done properly) eradicates
a few other problems from the long list that can upset these touchy
EFI cars.

If you do decide to remove the intake make the most of this time by
removing all the vac fittings that screw into the manifold clean and
refit with pipe sealant or PTFE tape, also replace the thermostat ($2)
and gasket while you can get at it, it might seem like a big job just to
fix some things that may not need fixing but it does give peace of mind
that half of the EFI problems can be fixed in one job in one day, you can
also buy a tin of mopar engine blue spray paint and give the manifold a
quick squirt which may not help the idle but will make it look nice.

Neil 82 Imp
London , England