Fwd: IML: Richer/leaner, was Exhaust system discussion

Fwd: IML: Richer/leaner, was Exhaust system discussion

Larry

Remembering that any gas engine is nothing more than a power producing air
pump;  the size of the exhaust manifold to header pipe gasket is 2 1/4 ".  At
this point it states the engerineering dept realized this size ment something
in the horse power and/or torque values.  In order to maintain this value
they designed the routing ( clearance ) of the exhaust system to accept this
size of tubing.

They also knew that dual exhaust is much better than single when one is
trying to get better values.  But, ... the bean counters say that it you use
single exhaust and charge extra for the dual we'll make a few bucks.  The
bean counters also say what if we use a smaller diam pipe and at about three
inches from the end we flare it out to the gasket size of the exhaust
manifold.  The tech guys grind out the numbers and one day many years later
some member of this group sez,  "...They made it that way for a reason and
I'm sticking to the factory spec's of my 19__ __ Im per i ial...".

As time goes on many producer's get into the muffler making business, and
they give their product a catchie name.  We all know that marketing flash can
sell a piece of junk.  Who makes a direct copy of MoPar's best flowing and
factory quite muffler.  Walker does.  They have the Walker part number of:
17749.  Walker also makes the same muffler with out the Walker label for
NAPA..  Guess what number NAPA has the muffler listed under ?  If you came up
with NAPA number 17749 you are correct.

I don't know what the maker info of the resonator is.  I do know the "can" is
4" X 18" with 2 1/4 inlet/outlets.

Now that you know what the flow diam is, and how to quiet it down, add
something that was not around when your car was being designed.  The "X"
factor.

My wife just asked if she could use the phone today so this is it (for now).

                                                 Rodger & Gabby

HI all; One thing I have not seen mentioned in this discussion is balance. I
refer to the intake side of the engine. The original air cleaner on my
Imperial had one very small opening about the size of a quarter. It has a
single 2 in. exhaust. It seams very restrictive to me. When changes are made
to one part of a system, you should consider the effects on other areas. I
use an open element air cleaner on my car and should have improved the
exhaust system at the same time. Time, weather, and $ prevented doing
everything at once, so I will be putting dual 2.25 pipes and the new 50
series flowmaster mufflers on when I can. I will use a crossover pipe (maybe
an x system) if I can fit it in.
    Just my $.02
    Larry
    67Crown 4DRHT