The Golden Age of Imperial Ownership?

--- Jim Gathmann <jim_gathmann@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Actually, if I were to guess, I'd say that we are
> right now in the "peak" of Imperial interest thus far
> in history.

I agree with Jim.

Today's ownership experience is second only to the day that your car
rolled off the lot new for the first time if you ask me.

Imperials seem to be terribly available, low in cost, and have plentiful
parts and support for them.  While there is no aftermarket reproduction
per-se; we have the other Chrysler big-block cars keeping mechanical parts
available at the parts-store. Lowell Howe, Bob H. and the others like them
are also on our side.  If you own a prewar Imperial, as Jim Martin and
others do, I think that you'll find it tougher to get parts and knowledge,
but there is terrific support offered here on the IML and conveninece of
the internet that was not around 5 years ago.

Ten to thirty years from now, I predict that the population of cheap, good
condition Imperial cars will have been shrunken considerably by the
factors of:

cars being left outside to rot,
demo derby guys that get 70k creampuffs for $1000,
the other Chrysler owners that want cheap 440's for their projects,
and a dwindling reservior of relatively scarce, unique trim and body parts
that go only on our cars.

This is already the case with my 1960.  They're around, but getting
scarce.  The demo guys that I have spoken with agree that 1964's are the
oldest ones that are really "around" anymore - earlier than that are just
"gone".  The later 60's and 70's aren't far behind, but may not look like
it right now.  I'm not zapping anyone (especially the muscle guys, some of
whom are on the List), just saying that these are forces of attrition that
are working against continued easy pickings that have existed so far.
Imperials ARE pretty cheap to get and run, judging by the percentage of
people that have multiple Imeprials on the list.

The fuselage cars and 1980's seem to be held in especially low regard by
the marketplace and currenly have little resale value.  This sort of thing
leads to ebay ads like the one with the 197? fuselage Imperial that was
advertised as "440 drivetrain" without mention of the fact that the
drivetrain was surrounded by a really nice, worthwhile car.

Despite my restoration expereince being "expensive" relative to my
personal budget, it's not really all that expensive as far as scarcity
goes.  I don't have to walk up and down Hershey or other swap meet aisles
looking for an alternator or a hood ornament.  I also have a great
resource in the IML for advice on anything, even putting Delco parts on my
car (hey! What?).

We have more in common than we have different, and I think that we have it
easy by comparison to 10 years ago or maybe even in comparison to ten
years in the future.

This is a grand time to own an Imperial!

Thank you, group, for making it easier and more enjoyable to do so.

=====
Kenyon Wills
6o LeBaron - America's Most Carefully Built Car
73 LeBaron - Long Low & Luxurious

San Lorenzo/SF Bay Area