The Golden Age of Imperial Ownership?

--- kenyon wills <imperialist60@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> unique trim and body parts
> that go only on our cars.

        Actually, this shouldn't stay a huge problem.. just a
costly one. Many other collector cars out there
already are almost impossible (if not impossible) to
get trim parts for. As a result there are many people
and shops out there which can remake old trim.. even
when going by just the car and a picture. 'course it
would be expensive. But possible.

> Imperials ARE pretty cheap to get and run, judging
> by the percentage of
> people that have multiple Imeprials on the list.

        Well, assuming you don't have A604 problems with the
90's Imperials...

> Despite my restoration expereince being "expensive"
> relative to my
> personal budget, it's not really all that expensive
> as far as scarcity
> goes.  I don't have to walk up and down Hershey or
> other swap meet aisles
> looking for an alternator or a hood ornament.  I
> also have a great
> resource in the IML for advice on anything, even
> putting Delco parts on my
> car (hey! What?).

        Actually, my whole Imperial/Dynasty project is dirt
cheap comparied to what I'm used to when it comes to
car restorations. But that may be because many of the
projects I've been involve with prior are ones which
require those custom trim pieces being made, the
perfessional striping and repainting, etc. Nice thing
about newer models is its cheaper to just replace a
section of chrome as opposed to having it re-plated.

        Personally, I fell that rust is the biggest Imperial
killer out there right now. Sure a few get taken by
the derby's, but of all the deby's I've seen, I've yet
to actually see an Imperial in one. Many is the
restore project which has failed do to conditions
being too rusty (which reminds me, anyone know if
those electric rust stopping systems work?).