Why GM anything?

I certainly took no offense whatsoever from this thread, and everyone gets
to make their own choices here, but I still feel that the idea that GM parts
are more reliable than Mopar parts, especially when used in Mopar cars, is a
misconception.

My 1967 Crown has 125,000 miles on it and it still enjoys its original
alternator, air conditioning system (in its entirety save for a 2.2 pounds
of Freon over the past 15 years), valve covers, etc. I replaced the
original, factory-installed starter motor about 1,500 miles ago with a
rebuilt identical unit. I replaced the adjustable voltage regulator with an
NOS unit after a brief visit by a non-adjustable unit purchased right off
the local Mopar dealer's shelf (and it hadn't been sitting there for 30
years). I still use the original distributor, never rebuilt, with points,
though I'm certainly not opposed to updating this to electronic as it's
seamless and does improve reliability. The original Carter AFB lets it purr
like a big kitten, starts it up hot or cold within seconds, even after it's
sat for two months. The heads have never been off. Mechanically (and inside
its lovely cabin), it's a surprisingly original car that certainly doesn't
look like it's traveled 125,000 miles. (Anyone who's seen it can attest to
that.)

But it's not a trailer queen... It has never been to a show or event it
didn't drive to, rain or shine. No, it's not a daily driver. But of all my
old cars, this is the one I'd be most likely to get in an drive any
distance. It's never let me down in 15 years, and I've never had a problem
finding mechanical parts, since 440s were extremely common.

Sure, if I did have a breakdown far from my trusted mechanic that was beyond
my roadside toolkit and capability, I'd be very unhappy having to trust it
to an unknown or to a kid who only knows how to unplug and replace modules
on Hondas. But an Edelbrock carb or Delco alternator wouldn't make that
aspect any better. In fact, it would introduce a whole new element of
mystery to the process, as any published reference material they could find
would not fully apply to my car. And when I travel, my FSM goes with me, and
my AAA+ and Hagerty Classic Roadside Assistance coverage do, too. It's a
small price to pay for the pleasure of driving a 35-year-old car.

Imperials, especially '67s, offer extreme reliability, perhaps the best of
all years of postwar Imperials, and they simply run great and drive great
when maintained in their original configuration. I'm not trying to persuade
anyone to undo changes they've chosen to make to their cars, but to those
who have original-spec cars that aren't running right, I highly recommend
finding someone who knows how to set up them up as they were intended before
searching for off-the-menu alternatives.

One big exception: Use only Autolite plugs. Every old Mopar loves 'em. No
fouling, no pinging.

One other exception: 1970-71 front brakes from a Chrysler to replace the
Budd dual-pistons. No one sees them. No one has trouble working on them if
they should need attention. And the surrounding components (steering and
suspension are as they left Jefferson Avenue in the spring of '67).

Sure, there are numerous little things that are made better, or safer, or
easier to maintain today than they were 35 years ago... Electronic ignition,
as noted. Radial tires. Fuel lines and brake hoses. And so on. But, for
example, if a correct, properly rebuilt alternator cannot reliably serve the
normal needs of an Imperial in everyday use, I strongly suspect there's
something else that needs to be fixed.

Happy motoring!
Chris in LA