alternator upgrade

Iam not ready yet but will be soon, can you send me the spec on the alt and reg?
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, December 15, 2002 12:33 AM
Subject: IML: alternator upgrade

     Thought I would share this info with others on the list.The original alternator on my 67 imp was always inadequate at idle and low rpms. Especially with the lights on and the defroster fan operating. Being a single field type it just can't put out the current at low rpms.I put a digital volt meter in the car so I could see precisely what my electrical system was doing, at idle usually less than 12 volts, at cruise 14.6, which means underpowering my car and draining the batt at low rpms, overcharging the batt at cruise.I decided to find a better alternator. I took a measurement of the case where it mounts at the bottom and pulley, went to an auto parts store and looked/compared to some newer mopar alternators. I found a late 80's dodge truck alt. with a pulley that was the same ,but a hair smaller diameter, the mounting at the bottom was the same but required switching the  mounting bushings with the original alternator(the overall alternator case is similar the 67 alt., but larger). This newer alt is a dual field which puts out at least twice as much current at idle(the slightly smaller pulley helps even more). And puts out 86 amps at speed. Because of the larger current capability I by-passed the amp gauge in the dash(for safety reasons, having all that current flow thru the dash is a design flaw in mopars anyway) and used the digital volt meter under the dash to monitor the electrical system. At the same time I upgraded to the mopar solid state voltage regulator also. Now from idle to cursing speed, with all the lights on, fan on blinkers, brake lights, radio on it never goes below 13 volts and at cruise never goes over 13.7 volts, WAY BETTER. It works so well, I am very happy with it, if anybody on the list is interested in this type of upgrade , I would be glad to provide more details.

Mike Becker               67 croen 4dr   67 vert   67 lebaron   other mopars