carburetor success!

All the required adjustments are described in the directions that come with
the kit, both how to make them and what the settings are.   Also, there are
measuring rulers to use in setting the float adjustments.   Normally, a
rebuild such as you have done would include checking all the adjustments.
However, unless something has happened to bend something, if they were set
close to right before, they should still be OK.

The leather cup on the accelerator pump plunger is formed to be the right
size when it is assembled to the pump shaft.  As these age, particularly if
the car has gone unused for a long period of time, these tend to shrink and
the pump doesn't work as well as it did when new.  Often, this is the only
thing that is wrong with a balky carburetor.

If the choke is closed when the engine is cold, and opens partly as soon as
the engine starts, and then further opens as it warms up, the choke is
working right.  Its operation has nothing to do with throttle position,
except that since the spring that positions it is rather weak, really high
throttle openings let so much air blow past it that it tends to open a
little.  This is not normal driving, however, as one would not normally race
a cold engine.

The spring loaded thingys that jump out of their little holes in the top of
the carburetor are the metering rods - they are what controls the mixture
richness for acceleration etc.   The directions with the kits describe,
picture, and name all these things, and tell you what order they go back
together in.  It is very important that you put everything back in the right
place - if you feel you might have missed some small item, or put it in the
wrong place, I think you should spend some time with the directions and
diagrams and then take the carburetor apart again to double-check your work.

Of course it won't hurt anything to just put it on and try it, trusting to
luck, but these are complicated devices, and you might cost yourself extra
work by doing it that way.

Dick Benjamin