Rough Running 66 ??

Couple questions about my 'new' 66.

The car runs rich but strong at speed.  At idle it is
very rough and lumpy.  Picked up new distributor,
points, condencer, wires, etc.

Timing was off a bit.  Replaced dist points condencer,
set to spec.  Idles better in neutral but still rough
when in gear.  Vacuum is marginal and will not
increase with idle mixture adjustment.  Have a kit for
the AFB but haven't done it yet.

Motor is just rebuilt by a known good local racer and
sounds very strong.  No knocks, rattles, or blue
smoke.  Will check compression tomorrow when I have
the plugs out.

The plugs are champion and black with soot but do not
appear to be fouled.  Wires are relatively new (5
years and 500 miles)

Going into town to get new plugs.  My plan is to try
the plugs first, then wires, then pull the valve
covers and see if the rockers are too tight.  Failing
all that, I'll go through the carb.

Have I missed anything?

Btw, the new dist was 34 bucks and came with points
and condencer.  With the car at 128K, it was probably
time anyway.

Kerry

=====
Kerryp

50 Crown Limo, 57 sports roadster, 61(s) GeeA project, 64 Crown, 68 Convertible

http://dte.net/57imperial