68 and 67 starting, redux

In a message dated 5/16/2002 9:07:16 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
bobsykes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I checked tonight  to see if my accelerator pump is working as was
suggested.  On the first 5 or 6 pumps, no gas was visible spraying in the
carb.  On the next 3 or 4 pumps there would be good stron streams spraying
into each barrel, then nothing
for a few pumps.  Is this an indication that the accelerator pump diaphragm
is bad, or that there is a probelm getting gas to the carb or?? >>

Not getting a full stream of gas with the first stroke would be normal for a
car that sat a while, because the accelerator pump would not be fully primed.
Four or five strokes means that your accelerator pump is probably worn or
more likely the float bowl is not full. The next few strokes probably emptied
the float bowl and then the pump started sucking air! If you then crank the
engine the float bowl fills up, but you have to pump a few more times to
again prime the accelerator pump. The work around is to crank the engine for
a few seconds without touching the accelerator so the float bowl will
completely fill, then pump the accelerator a few times and start the engine.
A top functioning accelerator pump is is always best, but it does you no good
if the float bowl is nearly empty. The reason the float bowl is not full, is
because that big V8 acts like a big cast iron stove evaporating the gas out
of the carburator after the engine is shut down. The only way to get more gas
to the carb is by cranking the engine, you can pump the accelerator until the
cows come home and you won't get any gas to the carburetor!

Roy
67 Crown FDHT