strange problem on a '57 Torqueflite (3)

strange problem on a '57 Torqueflite (3)

If the replacement screws held, we have to conclude that the failed screws
were the wrong grade of steel.  I assume you are sure the conversion from US
specs (inch pounds?) to European specs (dyne cm?) were done correctly?

I can't imagine any way water could get into the transmission accidentally,
unless the car was in a flood!   During the time the transmission wasn't
used, was it in the car, so that no external water could get in?  If it was
sitting exposed somewhere, perhaps some water could get in through the fill
pipe or some vent on it?

Off the subject, but a transmission will actually operate with water in the
pan - once after an encounter with an obstacle during an off road excursion
in the desert, a friend and I made it home by patching the hole in the pan
with a bolt, a piece of cardboard, and chewing gum, then filling the
transmission with water - the only fluid we had available, (other than
beer!).  The only oil in the transmission was the 5 quarts or so in the
converter, so it ran home on a mixture of Dexron and water.  It shifted a
bit crisply, but it got us home.  After that, it required a complete
cleaning out, but it was otherwise undamaged.

Dick Benjamin