ignition and brake question, 65 Crown

These are drum brakes, as others have pointed out.  One can get a pretty
good idea of the wear left in drum brake linings by looking in the brake
adjustment window with a good flashlight.  If the star wheel threads are
from 0 to 3/8 inch long, there is probably enough lining left to drive the
car a short while until you get around to doing a careful inspection by
removing the drums to take a real look at them.   If there is more than 3/8
of an inch of thread showing on the adjuster rod, the linings are pretty
well used up - don't drive the car far at all in this condition, especially
if you hear noise from the brakes.

Inspecting the brakes properly is so quick that I wonder why you wouldn't
just pop the drums off there and see for yourself - all it takes is maybe 2
minutes per wheel to take the drums off, and only one wrench - a large
Crescent will do (We're talking about front brakes here, I assume - rears
can be a problem if you have tapered axle ends, it takes a special very
heavy duty puller to get the drums off).

As for putting electronic ignition on your car, I don't know why folks do
this; I've never considered it, so I'm not the person to offer an opinion as
to which brand is best.  I like to keep things original, that is why I drive
an old car.

If one were to start replacing things because they are old and obsolete
technology, I'd be the first to be replaced!

Dick Benjamin