strange problem on a '57 Torqueflite

> Hi all,
> I've a strange problem on the 300 C of my friend. Since some
> weeks the car won't go in reverse but goes forward even in N !!
> First you must know that:

My '59 does the same thing when in a bad mood.  At worst I have to turn off
the engine, restart, immediately go to reverse and then it will back up a
few feet before it won't move at all anymore (at this point both reverse and
drive are engaged basically stopping all movement).

I have been told by a couple of reputable trans guys that the internal seals
are leaking and this is what causes the problem.  Sounds like you are going
to have to pull it out again.  Good luck and let me know if you find the
exact cause.

                                  Steve B.