Re: IML: 72 air conditioning

J D <teacherspouse@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The autotemp servo in my 72 is gone, and at $700 I can't afford the
replacment. My car is black and we are in south Alabama, to say it gets hot is an understatement.  Does anyone know how to bypass the autotemp feature and get some kind of air in the car?
The AutoTemp II system is, um, interesting.  ;o)

The compressor switch and the fan switch are both vacuum operated and live under the dash behind the glove box.  The location of these switches can be seen at http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1973/FSM/Chassis/html/24-092.htm at the arrow labeled "MASTER SWITCH."

You could wire in a manual switch from these connections for the compressor and the fan.  If you did so, I believe the fan would only work on the highest speed, but that's what you want in the summer in the South.  :o)

The only other issue would be to install a manual valve for the heater core.  The water valve is controlled by the Power Servo Unit, so if the servo unit is dead, the valve may not close fully.

Before working on the system, you may want to read through the section in the shop manual starting at http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1973/FSM/Chassis/html/24-081.htm
Even though this is from the '73 shop manual, the system is 99.9% identical for the three years it was used ('71-'73).

Good luck!

Elijah
Enjoying a balmy 93.5 degrees at 41% humidity in sunny Chattanooga, TN  :o)

Imperial Power Window Switch Repair

Find Repair & Shop Manuals, Parts Books, History & More at The Imperial Bookshelf!

  My Collection of Imperials

1965 Imperial LeBaron
  1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Sedan
  1970 Imperial LeBaron