Re: R-12 to R-134a Retrofit; was Re: IML: Change Over for 1975 AutoTemp

Re: R-12 to R-134a Retrofit; was Re: IML: Change Over for 1975 AutoTemp

Steve covers the important points below--I just wanted to add the detail that the receiver/dryer has a low pressure cutoff switch, so if the system isn't fully charged, it won't let the compressor kick on.  Briefly jumping a wire across the switch (located at the top front of the receiver/dryer) is a good way to test this problem.

Elijah

"Steve B." <Imperial59@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Peter:
I don't know what you mean by "get up and kick in". If you mean
that the clutch is not engaging then you need to find out if the clutch
isn't working or if it isn't getting power. If you mean the the
compressor is running but not compressing then you have probable
compressor issues.

The receiver is the "pop can" in the front. It contains a desiccant
bag to absorb any moisture and acts as a reservoir so liquid refrigerant
doesn't get dumped back to the compressor. Anytime the system is opened
the receiver should be replaced and you don't want to hook it up until
the very last thing right before the vacuum pump is hooked up. The
desiccant will suck the moisture out of the air and become saturated in
short order if it is left open.

Rebuilt compressors are like rebuilt anything these days... Pretty
much Junk. I would get one from the most reputable place you can find
and make sure they are local so you can take it back if it fails (they
weigh a ton so shipping eats you up quickly). Don't buy a compressor by
price. The difference in price is negligible when you consider the cost
for refrigerant, dryer (receiver) and labor to do all the work over
again if the compressor does not work.

One last thought... if you aren't doing all the work yourself you
may want to consider having a professional provide the parts and install
them. That way if the compressor fails they are on the hook for redoing
the whole job instead of you. In any event make sure the system is
properly flushed before you refill it with your new parts in place.

Steve B.