RE: IML: 66 Imperial IDLE Quality

In a similar vein, I had a 1990 Isuzu PU with AC. It had a valve which activated with the A/C compressor to increase the idle speed. The valve opened a vacuum line to increase the idle speed. I am not sure how it worked but you sure noticed the difference when the valve did not work.

----- Original Message -----
From: "J D"
Subject: RE: IML: 66 Imperial IDLE Quality
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:16:14 -0500

If you look at the cars from GM in the 80's
they were equipt with a "Idle kicker". When
you turned on the A/C there was a solinoid(sp?)
that would bump the acclerator(at the carb)
just enough to maintain idle speed(700-900
rpm). If you have made sure of all your vacum
line are not leaking that may provide you with
an idea.

Jon Davidson
'72 Mr. President

> From: mjusten@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: IML: 66 Imperial IDLE Quality
> Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 16:10:27 +0000
>
> Hi Everyone
>
> I bought a 66 2dr Crown over a year ago from
> southern California. It has always had a
> 'Poor Idle'. When you turn on the A/C, it's
> awful. Short after the purchase, i installed
> a rebuilt compressor, new receiver/drier, and
> new expansion valve. The air is working well
> now, but I don't like using because of the
> idle.
> I just took a compression test and all 8
> cylinders were between 140 and 150. The carb
> was rebuilt just prior to my purchase. I
> have recently done a full tuneup including
> plugs, wires, points, and condensor. Recent
> dual exhaust also.
> The engine takes off great and accelerates
> well. Runs COOL, doesn't ping, other exhibit
> any other performance issues.
> This car has the CAP system. I have
> by-passed the system and still can't get any
> improvement.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Marty
>
> 66 Crown 2DR

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar ?
get it now!

This message was sent to you by the Imperial
Mailing List. Please reply to
mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and your response
will be shared with everyone. Private messages
(and attachments) for the