RE: IML: '55 hesitation

Jim,

First guess would be fuel filter, but you just changed that.  On to the next most likely culprits:

Time to check the fuel pump pressure.  Is it delivering the right pressure?  (should be around 4.5 psi.  You can get a tester inexpensively at a good auto supply store).  And you need to measure 2 things:  pressure, and flow.  Maybe it can only deliver 2 TBSP at 4.5psi before the pressure then falls off.  To check flow, disconnect the coil in a manner to eliminate any possibility of a spark.  Get a LONG piece of fuel line and hook it to the line going to the carb.  Take the other end of this LONG hose (I’d say 3 or 4 feet) to a container away from the car so there is no possibility of a spark from the starter or anything else igniting any fumes.  Make you’re your connections are good and maybe even have someone watch the engine compartment while you crank.  Have someone crank the engine over a few times.  You should be able to see a good amount of fuel pulsing out of the hose on each stroke of the pump.

If the pump checks out, maybe you have something clogging the pickup in the tank….

Or there is always the (likely) possibility of a pinhole in a hose anywhere between the tank and the pump.  This would cause the pump to suck air, hence not delivering as much fuel as the engine needs.  You said you put on a new filter.  Is this filter prior to the pump?  Are you 100% sure the connections are tight and the pump’s not sucking air?

But from your symptoms, you’re on the right track – fuel problems is the first place I’d start.  Don’t know what the Seafoam product you mentioned is, so I can’t comment on that.  Is it possible it knocked some stuff loose in the tank and it’s plugging the pickup?

--Brooks in Dallas