Sent: Friday, June 16, 2006 10:46 AM
Subject: Re: IML: Light/signal Monitors

The fender-mounted signals were optional on non-Imperial Mopars, but standard on the Imperial from '67 to '75. That's why they did not need to provide redundant indicators on the dash. On the lesser Mopars, where the fender-mounted signals were an option, usually as part of the "Basic Group" or "Lighting Package" (both coded A01), the dash lights were the only indicator lights on models without this option, so they had to be there or there would have been no lights at all.

I kind of like the fact that my Imperial has five gauges (including speedo and clock) but only three indicator/warning lights on the dash.

Some Chrysler literature I have says the '74 Imperial was the first car to combine both gauges and warning lights for fuel and temperature, but by then they had deleted the oil pressure gauge so it's a tradeoff.

I love the fender-mounted indicators. I only wish they had continued to design them to fit each model as they did in the 60s. My '78 NYB uses the same lamps as my '72 Charger, and on the NYB they sit at a 45-degree angle on the inner slopes of the peaked fenders (invisible to cars in the next lane, though I think was a side-effect more than an intended benefit). Compared to some of the cool shapes and places they put these in the 60s (like in the rear-facing hood "vents" on some muscle cars), it's a little inelegant. But I still love having them, especially when driving at night!

Chris in LA
67 Crown
78 NYB Salon