Re: IML: odd LeBaron/branding question

It all comes down to marketing - what image do you want the public to have
of your product, and what comes to mind when the public thinks of a name or
sees a symbol.

Chrysler wanted people to think of the LeBaron as an upmarket vehicle -
basically a mini-New Yorker.  The New Yorker had taken the Imperial body
styling and made it a profitable proposition.  It was obvious the car itself
was not the problem.  So why not take the LeBaron name and the eagle and
place them on the new smaller Chrysler sedans?   Just as with the New
Yorker, it worked.  The M-body LeBaron was a success from day one.

At the time the LeBaron was coming to market Chrysler had no intention of
using the Imperial name again.  Somehow or another, during the development
of the second generation Cordoba, the idea popped up.  But by that time both
the LeBaron name and the eagle were firmly entrenched in the public's mind
as Chrysler's small sedans.  Actually, very few remember the Imperial, but
with the LeBaron, the opposite is true.   I got a parking ticket a few weeks
ago and the person who wrote the ticket put the make of my car as "Mercury".
Figure that one out.

Bill
Vancouver, BC