From: "Frederick Joslin" <fljoslin@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2005 10:05 AM
Subject: Re: IML: oil - synt vs. SAE

I had a 66 Newport (383 2bbl) from 1994 to 2004 and ran nothing but
Synthitic oil in it. I changed the oil once a year whether the miles
warranted it or not. I believe that I usually ran 20W/50 Mobil 1. I feel
that synthetic oil is even more important for "classic" car today since
they probably get driven less frequently and sit for longer
periods between use. Typically the synthetic oils have a more aggressive
additives package than the conventional oils.

There is a separate controversey on what constitutes synthetic
oil.Castrol was sued by Mobil recently because Castrol stopped using
"synthetic" oil. The judge in the case said the "synthetic" was whatever
you wanted to call it. After this caseMobil backed away from 100%
synthetic in thier new "tri" blend.

I strongly believe that real synthetic oil is worth the relatively small
additional extra cost and use it in all my vehicles exclusively.