RE: IML: Revival of the Imperial nameplate

RE: IML: Revival of the Imperial nameplate

From a link on my Riviera List came this apparent adaptation of the Cadillac Sixteen concept into an Imperial.  An interesting comparison with the Chronos.

And for any of us lamenting the lack of interesting styling at the major American makes, this is what GM's Holden unit in Australia showed at the Australian International Motor Show last month.

I still want a new American luxury coupe; there's only one that I can think of, and I don't quite equate the Monte Carlo with "luxury".  I miss the "personal luxury car" heyday of the late '70s/early '80s, with Cordobas, Mark IVs, Toronados, Eldorados Imperials, etc., all of which are now deceased models.  It seems like the American market goes in 8 to 10-year-long fads:

1955-64: fins (Cadillac persisted a bit too long after that "freshness date" had passed!)
1963-71: muscle cars
1972-83: personal luxury cars
1985-95: minivans
1995-2004: SUVs
2004-? "crossovers"

Do we really need such a plethora of SUVs and their derivations?  And please, OH GOD, PLEASE, not an Imperial SUV!

Neal Herman
1959 Imperial Crown
1966 Imperial Crown
et al.