Re: IML: Automobiles of the Chrome Age

If the body is clearly an Imperial body, then it is also a Chrysler and
DeSoto body as the 1955-56 Imperials shared bodies with the DeSoto and
Chrysler.  The 1955 Imperial hardtop used the DeSoto/Chrysler hardtop body
with the rear wheels moved back 3", thus giving longer rear quarters and
trunk.   The Imperial sedan in 1955 used the DeSoto/Chrysler sedan body with
3" longer front doors (and floor, rockers, roof,..).   Which is why all the
glass from a 1955-56 DeSoto or Chrysler will fit similar 1955-56 Imperials,
with the exception of the front door glass on the 1955 Imperial sedan.  All
1956 Imperial sedan and hardtop models sued the DeSoto/Chrysler units with
the rear wheels moved back 7" over the DeSoto/Chrysler wheelbase for 133".

Thus it would not be that difficult in 1955 to take the DeSoto/Chrysler
convertible body, put in on a 1955 Imperial chassis and install the Imperial
front clip.  That is what Chrysler did with the hardtops.   It would be
possible to install the hardtop rear sheet metal to the convertible with a
little (?) reworking to accept the convertible top instead of the hardtop
rear quarter windows and backlight.

Or take a Chrysler convertible, install the Imperial front clip and modify
the Chrysler rear end to look like an Imperial.   This version would thus be
on the shorter 126" DeSoto/Chrysler chassis instead of the Imperial's 129"
chassis.

So if the 1955 Imperial convertible has a shorter wheelbase than the
hardtop, the car was built on the New Yorker chassis.

Bill
Vancouver, BC