RE: IML: 73 Gas smell

Jerry,

Another alternative is the Quadrajet.  I know what you may be thinking, but GM is not the only maker to use Rochesters.  They were used on MOPAR cars and trucks.  I used one on a mildly modified 318 in an early Barracuda, and loved it.  Also, they are abundant used, and rebuilt, and are not too expensive.  Because Chevy used them on so many cars and over such a broad range of engine applications, you have much to choose from.  I bought one intended for a 350 in a 68 or 69 Nova.  The 318 loves it.  I'd expect a carb for a 455 Buick from 72-74 would be a reasonable match.

I don't have experience with the Thermoquad, but would be inclined to use it if I could make it work.

I think a failing float or worn needle valve would allow the raw gas smell, but I may be wrong.

Good luck.

Michael
68 Crown