Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2005 10:38 AM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: IML: Engine problems

I think you have "outted" the suspect and don't realize it.

What everyone else said on vacuum leaks applies, but the big hint (I think)
here is that you say when you put it in gear, it begins to idle roughly.
The *other* thing that probably happens when you put it in gear is that you
put your foot on the brake -- and if there is a bad seal or a leak in the
power brake booster, maybe it doesn't leak when the brake is *not* pressed,
but begins to leak vacuum when you press on the brake pedal -- hence, the
bad idle shows up when you put it in gear.

Check that out.... disconnect the brake booster and plug the line.  THEN see
how it idles in gear.  If it's now fine -- VOILA!

WARNING:  It'll be a LOT harder to hold the car from moving when that's
disconnected, so don't drive the thing thru any walls or over somebody.

--Brooks in Dallas
PS:  I'd love to know if this ends up being the culprit!  I like it when I
diagnose a car from hundreds of miles away.  (:-D)