RE: IML: Engine problems

I had similar problems from my 1973.

The spacer between the carb and intake manifold was
bad, and there was no way to tell till you took it
apart and saw the crack.  I futzed with it for days.

My mechanic pointed to it within the first minute and
announced that was the place he'd start with.  He was
right.  That cost me $65 plus the $10 part to find
out.

If that were my car, I'd remove all vacuum hoses, plug
ALL the holes on the carb and the manifold, and see if
that made a difference.  I'd also put a new
carb-to-intake gasket on, snug down the intake
manifold bolts (just to be sure), and try the car
again.

If the problem fails to materialize and the car then
runs fine (with no vacuum accessories), you can then
start plugging in hoses one-by-one.  When the problem
comes back, you then have a way to start diagnosing.

Brooks's (how DO you use an apostrophe, Brooks?) idea
about it being the brake release is right on.  I bet
that there's a hiss going on under the dash someplace.

The auto parts stores sell a stethoscope that has
nothing on the pointed end - just an open tube.  $7 or
so.  You can wear this device and wave it over the
exhaust manifolds to precisely detect where exhaust
leaks are.

If there is "too much" noise to hear the vacuum leak,
this device might help under the dash, but maybe not.

Don't go selling your car over this.  I bet $32 that
it's something comparatively minor.  Irritating, but
minor and an easy fix once found.  You might try
joining the local muscle car group and finding someone
else that knows Chryslers.  Sometimes having a fresh
set of eyes and ears can make a HUGE difference.

Kenyon Wills