Re: IML: 1973 Brake - Metering valve appears to be it.

Re: IML: 1973 Brake - Metering valve appears to be it.

A search of the site brings me to this page regarding
metering/proportioning valves:

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/Master/293/page12.htm

Also some on it in the 73 FSM.

It says to "hold open" the valve during pressure
bleeding.

I pedal bled, and the FSM says that pedal bleeding
does not generate enough pressure to affect the valve
BUT I don't believe everything that I read.

Suppose that the valve needs to be reset?

The liteature is not specific.  Says there is a valve
stem on the metering valve.  Says it should be down in
resting state.  It's laying horizontally, so what the
heck they mean by down is unclear.  I'll presume that
"down" means "into" the body of the metering valve?

Confusing to me.

==========

So I went out and inspected the car.  The metering
block is on the frame rail under the MC.

The valve stem points forward to the radiator support.

The valve stem appears to be at 75% of its throw
forward.

FSM says that valve should be retracted.  Does this
mean it should sit in position closest to the
firewall?

Jiggering the valve yeilded a momentary return to
normal pedal sponginess, so George, you hit it right
on the head, I think.

Questions:
How is this resolved?
How does one adjust the valve?
Manual movement didn't work - is it a 2 person thing
where you stand on the brake and pull the valve open?
Is it damaged/broken?

Manual says to replace it if it fails.  I don't know
how I broke it and would like to avoid doing that
again.

It worked great before I got into the system.
Do you know what I did to blow it?
What I should do differently on the next one?

--- GeoNort@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Kenyon,
> Check the portioning valve. A lot of times they fail
> to reset after bleeding
> the brakes. I have had this problem several times
> when I did complete brake
> jobs where bleeding was involved on dual master
> cylinder cars. Maybe some others
> could chime in also on this.
>
> George

Kenyon Wills