Re: IML: 66 imperial rear wheel bearings

Re: IML: 66 imperial rear wheel bearings

Don't worry about that retaining collar -- it comes packed in the package with the new bearing. This isn't anything exotic -- I'm pretty sure I had that same situation on either my Je*p or my '75 Do*ge pickup. Pretty standard stuff and like someone else said, you won't have a lot of trouble chiseling 'em off. Sorry you are having so much bearing trouble. Was the car maybe in water at sometime in the past, or maybe the seals were bad and let water in? Or poor grease? The center support, from what I've read, does have to be replaced from time to time. But axle and carrier bearings are usually one of the last atoms on the car to disintegrate. :-D

--Brooks in Dallas

mjusten@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

hi imperial enthusiasts:
anyone ever replaced the rear axle bearings on a 66 crown? it looks like a big job in the FSM. are these bearings available? the FSM shows a bearing retaining collar which need to be chiseled off. is this thing available also?
after i replace these bearings, i will have replaced all 5 including the center support bearing. i have never had such a bearing problem on a classic car like on this car. is this a typical problem on these cars?
thanks
marty justen
66 crown 2 dr

--
You can reinvent the wheel all you want, but until you slap the thing toghether and push it down a hill, you still aren't going anywhere.