Re: IML: 66 imperial rear wheel bearings

Re: IML: 66 imperial rear wheel bearings

I replaced the rear axle bearings on my '65 Crown, but that is the only Imperial I have had that problem with. At the time, I sent the axles to a shop to have the old bearings removed and new ones pressed on. There are also some critical measurements that need to be done during installation. I believe that a dial indicator is called for and required to do the job right.

I have driven some of my Imperials many thousands of miles. I have had trouble with the driveline carrier bearing insulator, but never with the bearing itself. I have had no trouble with front wheel bearings.

These cars are not more susceptible to that type of bearing trouble than anything else. I have been told that '64, '65, &'66 can develop a strange electrical problem that causes the left rear wheel bearing to burn out due to grounding/arcing between the bearing and the race. I don't think I have had this problem myself, but spoke to an older gentleman that was sure that had happened to him.

Paul W.