IML: Some quick facts on the 81-83 EFI 318s

IML: Some quick facts on the 81-83 EFI 318s

Yesterday, I went to a local cruise night in my 70
Fury. (Picture:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/Chromacolor2/Fury.jpg)

An older fellow walked over to me and complimented the
car, then asked "What engine?" When I replied 318, he
grew a big smile, then asked to see it.

Long story short; he worked at Chrysler's Mound Road
Engine plant for 38 years, from the phase-out of the
poly 318s, till the plant's closure two years ago.

Without my mentioning any affection for Imperials, he
started telling me a few things about the production
of the 318s destined for Imperials, as he claims to
have been put in charge of selecting engine blocks. I
thought many of you might find them interesting, so
before I forget:

1) All of the blocks were hand-picked, once a week.
They were checked for tolerances, and things such as
proper chamfer on bolt threads. Acceptable blocks were
marked with an "F", I assume for "Fuel Injection". He
says that he was never second-guessed in this process.

2) Other engine components (crankshafts, heads, etc.)
were checked and marked in the same manner by
different people in the corresponding department.

3) Rods were Magnafluxed, along with the E-48 police
engine rods. (This extra step was largely becuase they
still had the equipment from the HP 340s.)

Seems like a lot of extra work for an engine with a
great reputation for durability anyways, but what the
hell, the cars WERE Imperials after all!

That's about all that was Imperial-related. Thought
you all might enjoy.

Carmine F.