Re: IML: I need help too!

Tom;
    You will need to pull the steering wheel, directional switch, and remove the snap ring above the upper column bearing. Remove the firewall boot/insulator, then loosen the bolt holding the column cover to the box. Loosen the column support bolt from under the dash.  Once all of this is done, pull the column cover off the steering tube and remove from car. You will now be left with the steering tube which is attached to the steering box with a giant cotter pin. Remove pin and pull the steering tube free from the steering box. You will likely find the steering tube insulator (w/copper ground) is bad, so plan on replacing that. Andy Bernbaum has these for about 9 bucks. Now you are ready to proceed with your steering box repair. This process does suck, but there are no rag joints on these cars, so this how you will have to proceed. Any questions at all, feel free to contact me. Alex, 63 Crown.

TOMGLOZANNIS@xxxxxxx wrote:
I'm working on the steering box on my ' 62 Crown.  Lost all the fluid, luckily just in front of my garage, boy did I have to work that steering wheel to get it parked.

I read the manual but I don't want to take the steering wheel apart to get the box out for repair.  I've taken all the stuff off the box except the collar attached to the steering post, by the fire wall!  This is where I've stopped.  Can I take the box off, if I disconnect that Collar?

Where can I get parts for repair or a replacement gearing box?  The shaft looks good, all the bearings fell out but I got them back in except for the middle one's, hopefully I'm only going to need the seals.

Need some advice and direction.

Tom Zannis
'30 A Roadster
'49  Packard