IML: Torqueflites

Hello All,
Just received my June issue of Hemmings Classic cars. They did an indepth article on the torqueflite transmission. I caught several factual errors in the article. But, there is one thing that I need the mechanical gurus on our site to clarify. They claimed that the first torqueflites ( which they erroneously had as an option in all five 56 Chrysler Corp makes ) had a first gear start. I remember reading a Motor Trend article on a 57 Dodge with torqueflite. They lamented the fact that it started in SECOND and shifted to drive. First gear was used "only in emergencies". I have read this in several articles and need clarification.

                                                    Allan from Billings, Montana