Re: IML: Leather Seat Treatment

Hi Paul,

Several years ago I attended a national meet of the Rolls-Royce Owner's Club.  At the event I signed up for a workshop given by a gentleman who owned a company involved in high dollar auto restorations.  During that workshop he introduced us to a company named Leatherique (www.leatherique.com) that has two products that will turn cardboard like leather back glove soft with a little time and patience.  The two products are Rejuvinator Oil and Prestine Clean.  I have used their products on all my cars with leather interiors with unmatched results by any other product.  I would strongly suggest you give them a try.  The products are all natural.  If my memory serves me correctly I think we have several list members who have mentioned their success with Leatherique products before.
I have a 1967 Lincoln convertible which has an all original leather interior in perfect shape due to these products.  When I bought the car the leather was very hard, but perfect in every other way.  I was able to rescue the interior with repeated treatments.  I have found letting the car sit in the sun with windows rolled up after having applied the Rejuvinator Oil will speed up the softening process.  This was recommended to me by the company's owner, but I don't think you will find it in their instructions on line.
You mentioned silicone products.  Later that same week while I was at that national meet, the fellow who was conducting the workshop I mentioned was having a very detailed conversation with me during which he made clear his distaste for silicone interior products. It was his opinion you should NEVER use silicone on leather or vinyl.  He felt so strongly about it that he had a sign in his shop which read if an employee brought a silicone product into his shop they would be fired.

Take care,

David Whitfield
North Carolina
dawiwh@xxxxxxx