IML: Help with "AutoPilot" homework

I received an e-mail today from a Dutch technical university student whose assignment was to describe the development of cruise control. He found that it had been first introduced in the 1958 Imperial, and he ended up at the museum's web site where Mrs. Blueberry, "my" 58, has a rather large section devoted to it.

In reply I referred him to the Imperial club's web site and the two articles there that describe how the system works and an impression of how it felt when operated. He was absolutely delighted to see the articles and thanked me very graciously. He had done a web search of his own and had not come across them. Isn't nice to be of such help to someone so far away?

Now, I guess I am passing on his thanks to whoever was involved in adding those articles. I think I have one of them so one may have come from me but I actually don't think so and it's hardly the point. What it got me to thinking was, and I have noticed this myself, how difficult it is to find the Online Imperial Club when doing web searches. Now I know we all found it, or else we wouldn't be on this mailing list. And I am also absolutely not launching a broad side against the site either. It is truly amazing. I think all I am doing is pointing out that somehow or other it does not rank very highly in most search engine results, or at least it seems that way to me.

For some reason, my museum's web site does. I get e-mails from all over the place asking the most bizarre questions. Maybe the webmonsters do as well and I, obviously, don't know about it. I "borrowed" a great reply I once saw from Brad Hogg, a rather witty fellow who has come up with some of the best one liners I've ever seen on this list. He said, in reply to one very weirdly unrelated question that came to the webmonsters while I was, very briefly, among that worthy group, "May I just take a moment to ask you how it was you came to ask us this question? The subject matter seems significantly distant from our intended purpose and we'd love to know what gave you the impression we might be able to help you." (Brad phrased it better.) The response is polite yet communicates the befuddlement the question has caused to the recipient.

So, one way or another, we, as a group, helped a lost individual to find his way to good information about a great Chrysler, and indeed, Imperial innovation. I think that's pretty cool. My car does not have AutoPilot, but I know one or two others on the list are so equipped. The young man might enjoy hearing from you if your system still works after all these years. I'd wager many people on the list might also be interested. E-mail me off list and I'll give you his address.

Hugh
hugtrees@xxxxxxxx