RE: IML: 1959 imperial pictures

no im sorry I skipped that part as i thought i would make the story short.
now longer version= to ger a jack under the car ( it was to low to the ground to get a floor jack under the car) I had to start at the front and I had to use a large piece of wood because the ground was to soft to support the jack. and the weight of the car, I started at the front of the car the front bumper was higher off the ground than the rest of the car. once i got one front wheel off the ground I pulled the wheel off ( passenger side was done first. I checked the brake drum and put it back on then I putt a ford truck wheel and tire on the car. I did the same for the driver's side. once the front was done. and the car was a little higher off the ground with aird up tires of front. I managed to get the jack under the rear of the car. also ( before I tried to get the lugs loose on the car I used " mouse milk" it's a fine oil penetrating oil , similar to wd-40 but much better , and is used by local airport maintence ,. I have used it on stuck emergency brake cables, frees them up in no time soaks right in. also I said I hit the drums to get them off, and I did, of course I had a little trouble getting them off . but nothing like what others have went through, but maybe it's my point of view. when I shook and pulled on them I braced my feet on the car not the body as I was afraid I would damage the fenders more, I pulled and while I pulled on them my brother would hit them and not my hands . it didn't seem that difficult to me to get them off. as iv'e seen worse, on my old ford,it had been sitting with the emergency brakes on for years and the shoes had rusted to the drums, and even after I got the drums to budge the shoes wouldn't let them go. and I was useing a porta power on it.I had to take a chisel and managed to wedge it between the drum and backing plate and try to break the shoes loose that way , eventualy they came off.  the drums were damaged by the time i got them off. and on the imperial I wasn't conserned about any damage to the drums as I was thinking that they would be replaced anyway. I didn't check both sides on the front or back only front left, and rear right. but I did get the two off the car and putt back on.I had thought that if one on the front was ok the the right front would be also. because seldom do you see one side ware out before the other, and I believe the same would apply for rust or stuck brake shoes. at the time I did this I didn't realy care as much for the brakes, because I wasnt going to drive it home and I was woried about something getting broke if the wheels didn't roll  and the car would be dragged onto the rollback. I had a van dragged onto a rollback before and i saw a frightening sight,  If i skipped something this time just ask me and I try to get it to you.

"Steve B." <imperial59@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I took the pictures 2 weeks before I bought the car and when I paid for the car $600. I had a rollback come and tow her for me , before the rollback had even got there , I jacked up the car to swap out the flat tires, so she would roll and not be dragged on to the roll back, I wanted to see if the brake shoes were stuck so after I jacked her up and removed the wheels and used a set of ford truck wheels . I hit the drums square with a lug wrench and shook it hard and the drum came off, the car only sat there for close to 2 years so she hadn't sank in the ground much.

Henry:
    The rear drum came off when you removed the wheel?  If so then your car has the wrong rear axle.  The '59 rear axle uses a tapered drum and axle with a castle nut holding it alltogether.  It takes a serious puller and lots of patience to get those back drums off.

                  Steve B.