Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2005 4:22 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Imperials, Safety, and Defensive Driving

I will stress for the last time that great new style brakes do not replace a safe following distances and slower speeds. It may be extreme, but when I drive my Imperials (or any of my cars) I pretend that they don't have any brakes at all. I always WANT them to work, and do my best to keep them working perfectly. My Driver's Education teacher in Southern California said that if we are depending on our brakes to save our lives, then we are not driving defensively.

If a driver is always having to make "Panic Stops" then it isn't the traffic as much as the driver, that is causing the problem.

Buses and trucks don't stop very well either, yet considering how many of them are on the road, they seldom rear end other vehicles. I believe that is because they are "professional drivers". We could all use lessons on brushing up our driving skills, but most of it is patience and common sense. Everday I see people driving down the road at 70 mph talking on the phone. They couldn't possibly be prepared for an emergency. I find it offensive that these folks think that driving is so unimportant that they think it is a waste of time to concentrate on what they are doing. There! Now that I have said it I will shut my trap!

Paul