Re: mystery sound

those tin covers have different grooves at different levels to allow for the bolts, with the cover off you may be able to measure from bottom of  trans.to center of bolts and bottom of cover to center of groove allowed for bolts,, you may have wrong cover..

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 6:25 PM, Jason Rhoades <Jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

O its totally possible  I did it and cost me a complete trans. I wasted that thing and it was never right after that .  I threw all kinds of parts at it. Finally just tossed it aside. It was behind a 500 hp 440 and I could not figure out why it acted like it was in a bind boy was I dumb.  If the converter is not seated all the way the flex plate will flex and allow the converter bolts to contact the block or shield .  personal experience speaking here.

jason

From: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of neal zimmerman
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2014 6:12 PM
To: 1962to1965mopars
Subject: Re: mystery sound

I verified that the tin plate is what is banging. I removed it, and reinstalled the starter, fired it up and had  no clanging whatsoever. But the question is why is it clanging??. Could my convertor not be correctly seated into the front pump of the tranny causing the convertor to be riding too far forward and hitting the tin plate?? When you drop it into gear its dead air, and I know there is tranny fluid in the tranny, So that kind of tells me the front pump isn't getting turned to activate the tranny. On the other hand I don't really understand how it would be physically possible to bolt the tranny and engine together if the convertor was too far forward.

  neal