Re: Alcohol in gasoline (spin-off from pulsing engine)

Re: Alcohol in gasoline (spin-off from pulsing engine)

We are veering somewhat off topic. But fuel supply does make a difference for old cars like our Mopars.
The more your Mopar has been rebuilt, retrofitted with new hoses and new carb kits, the less an issue I suspect.

The current spike of alarm is the introduction of E-15. The Historic Vehicle Association (HVA) has an Ethanol Fuel Petition online. Their analysis is that the more concentrated E-15 blend coming on the market is no good, from a classic vehicle perspective.

They write:  "Because of its corrosive and water absorbing properties, ethanol, or gasoline containing ethanol, cannot be moved through traditional petroleum pipelines and tanks. Instead, in a process known as “splash blending” ethanol is blended into gasoline at terminals near the gas stations.

This “splash blending” means that the ethanol levels actually in the gasoline at the pump may differ from what is actually labeled at the pump. Because of this variation and the inconsistencies in the label laws among the states, the HVA recommends carrying a fuel test kit to ensure an acceptable level of ethanol in the fuel destined for your tank."
http://www.historicvehicle.org/Commissions/Commissions/Legislative/Say-no-to-E-15-fuel

The WSJ wrote: "Adding alcohol to gasoline is also a point of contention because alcohol makes fuel more corrosive. Cars built in the 2007 model year and later have fuel systems designed to handle E15 and the EPA says its tests indicate cars as old as 2001 can also use it safely. Still, people with vehicles from 2006 and before may want to steer clear of E15 for now...."
http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2011/01/22/e15-fuel-what-it-means-to-you/

Also see "New ethanol blend raises ire of car buffs"
""We're basing our concerns on the cars that are on the road today," and on the corrosive effect that 15 percent-ethanol fuel could have on fuel pumps, fuel tanks, hoses...."
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/2011-08-16-ethanol-autos-epa_n.htm

Thanks,
Gary H.