Re: Back to square 1

Got Spark, Got Fuel.  Hmmm

When cranking it is there any backfire thru the carb? As others have said it could be 180 out. I'm sure you've probably checked and re-checked.

Another thing to consider if you are sure rotor wasnt 180 out. Given you have spark and fuel, it could be one of the oddball reasons for something like this. For instance, I've seen it happen before where the harmonic balancer dried out enough that the outer metal ring slips on the rubber and the timing mark ends up being off. Not sure whether it was prevalant on Poly's, but last week, I saw it on a buddies /6 car. He could acutally reach down and twist the harmonic balancer (outer ring) without turning the engine over. He said it was the second one that he had go bad. I hadnt seen a bad one for years, but, they can eventually slip.

After re-installing the timing chain, if the mark was off on the balancer, no mater what you do you dont get it timed.

To Check, you need to use a TDC stop on the number 1 spark plug hole. Verify TDC for the piston is also at the 0 mark on the balancer. (Just a suggestion if you havent gotten it running yet)

--Tom