RE: crankshaft key?

You say you had a hard time getting the old gear off originally. I see in your pic the cam gear is (back on?) in place. Even though it was difficult, were you able to remove both gears and chain as an assembly?
Did you need/use a puller or pry bars? (I’m only trying to get a “feel” for just “how tight” it was.)
Secondly, you’re able to easily slide the old and new gears onto your spare motors’ crank, is that with or without a key in the crank keyway? Test fitting first without the key is a good idea. This gives opportunity to get other trouble spots out of the way, and then if troubles arise “with” the key, you know what to work on. Also, try test fitting the gear to the shaft backwards. If it stops at the same place, the problem is likely the shaft/key or if it stops somewhere differently the problem is likely the gear and not the shaft/key.
Next I’m wondering, at what position is the stuck key “in”? Does the top flat look to be exactly parallel to the crank or maybe slightly higher at the back?
Yet another thing to look at are the square (inside/outside) corners at the top of the key and where the key enters the shaft keyway, and the inside/outside corners of the keyway in the gear. New parts are especially notorious for having extremely sharp corners; it doesn’t hurt to just knock-off that sharpness.
Ok, after all that, we still DID NOT get the old key out, did we? Had you tried letting it soak with penetrating oil? Lastly, when all else fails, it’s time to take the kid gloves off and get down-rite BRUTAL!  After all, it is not welded in there, so it “will” come out. Get that hammer and chisel and start swinging, just try to keep that chisel point under the key and pointed up and away from the shaft though a few scratches minor nicks can be filled smooth during the gear test fit process.
GOOD LUCK.

Dave B
In restoration stage to - as original
'64 Dodge B-body 440, 2dr ht
383 cid, 4 bbl, 4 spd, duel exh
ZZW - Anniversary Gold w/ white side sweep