Re: carb debate

For me, ease of adjustment and dialing in is key.

When I built the 440 in my Plymouth, I put a Holley 770 Street Avenger. Dialing it in with the automatic was fairly easy with a jet kit, gtech and a straight flat stretch of road. Adjusting idle mixture based on vacuum and never had to touch it again. These are vacuum secondaries and I was running a 727

The Carter AFB on my 273 is the same way. Never had to dial it in as it was the original carb, and it was a Utah Car so jetted for non-sea level from the factory. It has 3-step metering rods, very good carb and perfect match for the engine.

I had a Rochester QuadraJet years back when I had stepped to the dark side for a few years. Hated it and put on an AVS to replace it. Was much happier with its performance.

Never tried Demon, or many others.

As for Vacuum Secondaries, vs Mechanical, I was always told, to use Mechanical with a clutch, and vacuum with an automatic.

That said, I like the Carter AFB's or Carter AVS's for ease of use. I've gone thru a couple of edelbrock carbs, even have one on my '77 ramcharger. Just not happy with them. They might be reproductions, and even same castings, but they arent the same carb as the old carters. For me, when going for bigger horsepower with bigger cam and Cubic inches, the Holley is just the logical choice to step up to.

--Tom

> I am trying to make a decision on what carb I want to
use (single 4 bbl) Holley or Edelbrock AFB. Vacume or
mechanical secondarys along with other things to
consider. I understand Holley a little more, but guys
in the know say they understand Edelbrocks better than
Holley! So I would like you-uns opinions brand choice
and why. Demon or other carbs , or special tuned
aftermarket are not considered in this question.
413-440 4 speed 3:55 ratio weighing 3800-4000 lbs. @ 55-6000
RPM max. Thanks for any input..........MO