Re: Brake Adjustment?

Dave:

I am working on the brakes on my 65 Dodge Coronet. I had the same problem with my car earlier. I put a new master cylinder in and bleed it with the pedal. Took the car to a mech. for front end alignment and him also re-bleed the brakes as the pedal was soft, to the floor, on the first push or so. He bleed them but the pedal was still soft. He said I had a bad master cylinder due to a bad diaphragm between the two reservoirs.

I called SSBC and got a new master cylinder. They also told me I had to bleed the master cylinder on a vise as the break pedal rod does not go far enough in to totally bleed the cylinder. They sent me bleeding kit, NC. I bleed it on the vise using a big philips screw driver. Installed the master cylinder, a lot of fun when you are by yourself in the pit. Bleed the brakes and everything was rock hard.

Then I re-did some the brake tubes to eliminate the line lock and move the brake adjusting valve to the rear brakes, received bad info thats another story. Then when re-bleeding the rear brakes the bleed nut on the drivers side would not close easily and I ended up sucking all the fluid out of the master cylinder, again by my self. I refilled the reservoir and bleed the rear breaks.

Wham pedal to the medal in a flash. Bottom line is i am trying to re bleed the Master cylinder from inside the car by disconnecting the brake pedal and using a long rod to get the plunger to go all the way in. First i am going to rebuild the back brakes.

Sorry for being so wordy but its early am here in SC.

Bottom line did you bleed your master cylinder after refilled it with fluid?

I will let you know how my latest endeavor goes if it ever cools off down here!

Jim

1965 Dodge Coronet 500, 440 CI