Re: disc brakes

All your points are valid and make sense. I believe I'll reconsider my brake plans........Warren ----- Original Message ----- From: "Steven Charette" <stevec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:46 PM
Subject: RE: disc brakes

I've been watching the Scarebird stuff for a while - their Mopar setup has
changed a few times, using different calipers, rotors, etc.   When I first
started looking they were Chevy Malibu(?) calipers, then Cordoba calipers,
older Chevy truck calipers, now the Dodge 1500... If they had a good setup I
don't know why they would keep changing it.  One of the setups used a
wafer-thin spacer to center the bearing on the spindle, which made me a
little nervous.

Other than that the caliper brackets appear to be made from 1/4"-5/16" thick
steel with welded-in nuts for caliper mounting.  I have CAD equipment and
every piece of machinery to make stuff much more sophisticated than what
I've seen on eBay but can't bring myself to take the chance.  Here's why:

The Chrysler factory parts were engineered to all work together and did so
quite well.  The lasted for decades and with fresh rebuild parts work like
new.  With the old slider type calipers and rear drum brakes I can haul a
3600lb car down from 120+ and make the first turn-off at most tracks.  If I
get a little over-exuberant on the pedal this setup will practically suck
the eyes right out of your head.

Although I have never heard of anybody having trouble with the Scarebird
stuff are brakes really the place you want to cut corners?  There are a
number of articles outlining ways to use Chrysler OE disc brake packages on
older Mopars and the parts are readily available, even inexpensive.  When it
comes down to it, even $700 for a Wilwood setup is a deal if you don't end
up wrecking your car, much less if you or someone else gets injured or
killed.  And to recall the legal thread that was just going around the other
day, how about if some low-life ambulance chaser finds out that you ran over
a kid on a bike because you pieced together a home-brewed brake system using
rotors from an AMC pacer and calipers from a Yugo?

And yes, there is somebody (SS Brakes?) who will gladly sell you the whole
factory Mopar setup for just over a grand.  Do a little reading and some
careful shopping and you should be able to do precisely the same thing
yourself for no more than 300 bucks.

I don't mean to crap all over Scarebird's kits; they may be the greatest
thing since the aluminum TorqueFlite.  I'm just saying that there are very
inexpensive conversions out there that are just as cheap or cheaper than
some Rube Goldberg setup that might have you picking your horn ring out of
your teeth.

Rant mode off.

SC