RE: Chrysler Improvements and Quality

Douglas J wrote:

> 'Well, I'm sure they are far from perfect, but mine have been absolutely
> solid.  The last 3 were an '04 PT Cruiser GT Turbo, which went 65,000
> miles with only tire replacement, an '04 Dakota Sport 4X4 with 4.7,
> which only has 33,000 miles on it, (btw Bill, it has towed my car
> trailer with my '63 on it, and you could hardly tell it was back there,
> as well as both my '64 NewYorkers, the parts car was loaded down with
> spare parts, tools and junk when I moved 100 miles 2 years ago in a wind
> storm of 35-45 mph wind, and outside of only getting about 10 mpg did
> very well, the big one your looking at should have no problems) it has
> never been back to the dealership, and the Durango Hemi which replaced
> the PT which already has 35,000 on it has had no problems so far, and
> gets over 22 mpg at interstate speeds.  Both my brothers are Chrysler
> product junkies as well, and have had the same results.  I only had one
> lemon in 35 years of Mopar ownership, which was a '94 Concorde which had
> electrical problems from hell, and dumped the tranny at 68,000 miles (on
> a 7-70 warranty, lucky me.)  I think Chrysler still suffers from a
> conception of quality problems, which leads people to bitch about little
> things that in a Toybota or Chebby would go unnoticed.  For instance, I
> know a guy that had Chevy trucks all his life, but liked the looks of
> the new Rams, so got one and only complained about it from day one.  It
> was always little stuff (dome light, squeaky brakes, a small tranny
> leak) but still managed to put 100,000 miles on it.  He just traded off
> his latest chevy with 100,000 miles which was in the shop everytime you
> turned around.  Overhauled tranny, new fuel pump, multiple injector
> issues, lost two computers, and had the rear differential go out among
> other things, but guess which one was the better truck ??   For the
> price of a new auto, they should run 200,000 without a glitch, but few
> do.  Personally, I got no complaints.
>
> Jake

I just bought a new '08 Chrysler Town and Country last weekend.  So far
I really like it.  I had a 95 Grand Caravan that I really liked too.
The 95 had some electrical issues early on but once fixed never were a
problem again.  I did trade it off before the dreaded 120K transmission
meltdown though.
On the flip side I had a '98 Chevy S-10 that I had quite a few problems
with.  Stuff you wouldn't think would happen, like having to replace all
of the bearings in the rear axle & differential.  Also their $900 fuel
pump was a nice little surprise!
Regarding the $2.99 gas card with the new Mopars, they have a chart to
show you how it will pay out.  You don't really come out ahead w/ my
vehicle until gas hits $5.25/gal.  I took the $2500 rebate instead.
I'll put 40K/year on this new van so the lifetime powertrain warranty
looked pretty good to me.
I never put much stock in the J.D. Power surveys.  They are filled out
when the car is new.  I'd like to see someone take a survey after the
car is a year old or more.
I've also owned two Toyota Camry's, the best cars I've ever owned.  My
'02 just hit 90k and we replaced the timing belt & water pump.  The only
other thing I've ever had to do is change the oil and put tires on it.
I understand they are having issues with the newer ones though.

Paul L.
'63 Sport Fury
440/727
http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-lennemann63.html