Re: Disc Brakes!

Dan,
Not sure of the MC I put on the car. It's been a couple years since I
did it. I know it's a disc/drum MC but not sure of the bore size. I have
the rears adjusted properly, as far as I can tell. I know I had to shim
the MC out a little after installing it because it was holding pressure
on the front disc's. It works fine now after that.
It may well be the MC is too big a bore and requires more pressure to
stop. I used a semi-metallic shoes on the back, which may not of been
the best choice. I know after I drive the car a while it stops somewhat
bettr. Just seems like it takes too much pressure to get it to do that.
I think I just need a matched setup to make the car stop like it should.
That's why I was thinking of the Master Power setup.
I guess it would be cheaper to try a different MC to see it that helped
before I drop $1300 or $1400 on the Maste Power stuff.
I do have manual brakes and the cam I'm running is the biggest hydraulic
cam that Racer Brown makes so, power brakes is out of the question.

Thanks,
Bill C.
On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:58:01 -0400, "Dan McCormack"
<mcwheels@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> Bill, I believe the spindles should be the same but before you spend a
> lot
> of money humor me for a minute. I just went thru a similar problem with a
> friend of mine from my old 66/67 Charger group. Only it turned out his
> problem was a very radical cam that wasn't making enough vacuum for the
> power brakes. He converted over to manual brakes and they now work fine.
>
> First I'm going to assume you have the calipers on correctly with the
> bleeder at the top. And that you have a disc brake proportioning valve
> installed and that your using a master cylinder that's for front
> disc/rear
> drum brakes and the rear brakes are adjusted properly. Now if all that's
> correct I'm guessing the problem is in the bore size of the master
> cylinder
> your using.  The larger the bore of the MC the firmer the pedal will be
> but
> it will also increase the pedal pressure needed to stop. A difference of
> 1/32" can make a huge difference in pedal pressure. With manual brakes
> you
> want a bore size of around 1". All I can tell you is that I converted a
> 66
> Belvedere I had to manual A body disc brakes and I used a Volare MC with
> bore of 1 1/32". I kept the 10" rear drum brakes and that car stopped
> 100%
> better and with less pedal pressure than the 66 Hemi Charger I had at the
> time with it's 11" power drum brakes. Do you know what MC is on your car
> and
> what the bore size is?
>
> Dan

  William Cole