RE: mystery--heavy oil usage

[AD removed for archives]
New Apple® iPod® nano. As Thin as a No. 2 Pencil. Stores up to 3
Days of Songs! Get it Here FREE*!
caad3PYbOyW3Na/Superb Rewards

Zack,

Well you have several possibilities. Most of which have already been
mentioned.
The key here is to start an objective trouble shooting process that will
lead you to
the problem. My suggestions:

First leak the motor down. That will tell you if you have a ring issue
first. Check intake
and exhaust valves on leak down. If the leak down is good, that would almost
for sure
eliminate anything inside the short block.

Second I agree with Don. I think you have a problem with the heads. Bronze -
brass guides
will slip occasionally. I am not wild about your choice of seals. If you
have a high lift cam, and
did not check seal clearance, or cut the guide boss down, you might have
smashed one. I would
use umbrella seals. I don't ever use any. I get crap for that, but my motors
work well and don't
use oil. When you pull your heads, look very carefully for a problem with
the head gaskets.
I think you will find your issue within the head - valve area.

Don't get discouraged. Things happen when your putting a motor back
together. After you
have made all the mistakes and learned all the lessons, you will find new
ways to mess it
up, or it seems like I do. Keeps you thinking.

Earl

I want to say thanks in advance to all the help I have received over the
years from list members. Many problems solved by the generous time spent my
fellow Mopar owners. Here'a a new one that has stumped me and my engine
rebuilder:

I have a 1964 Dodge Polara 500 with original 383 engine. 18 months ago I
rebuilt the engine, with the machinist doing his work (bored cylinders 30,
new pistons, new valves and guides, the works). Newly installed, the engine
runs strong, but uses about a quart of oil every 200-300 miles.
Didn't noticeably smoke except a puff on startup; seemed to be leaking from
the rear main at high speeds. Pulled engine, replaced seal. Also found a few
fouled plugs, so re-ringed it at the same time just to be safe. Put engine
back, drove ever more carefully during the break-in.
After several thousand miles, no more rear seal leak, but engine is STILL
USING A QUART EVERY 250 miles!!

Clues

Plug No. 2 or 3 on the left side was badly caked with hard, dark deposit,
almost bridging gap (after 2000 miles). Similar but not as bad a plug on the
other side.

When I removed the engine the first time, you may remember that the engine
stand tipped over with the engine on it, and smashed the crank pulley. Most
list members predicted it had survived, the machinist found the crank in
fine shape, and didn't notice any other problems.

The machinist magnafluxed the block, but said it would not show any internal
cracks.

Vacuum gauge shows a wobbling needle between 13-16 pounds at idle. One
manual I have says this could be a sign of worn valve guides (the new guides
came with the valve kit, and were brass).

As you can imagine, this is a heart breaker, as its my first engine rebuild.
I can't go on like this burning oil at this rate. I welcome speculation,
suggestions, tests, etc! (And so does my poor machinist, who didn't charge
me to redo the main seal, but is stumped on the continuing oil usage).

Zack in Chicago

[AD removed for archives]
Frustrated by your Technology? Can't get it to work properly?
Get HiWired! 45 min over phone, problem solved. Learn More.
caad3QXbOyW3Nf/LightFrog

----

bOyW3N.