dual vrs single

[AD removed for archives]
Want a laptop? Get an Apple iBook for free!
caadeMmbOyW3Na/Amazing Computer

Dual planes are essentually two four cyl manifolds grouped together on a V*. They each feed from one side of the carb or carbs and make a efffort to seperate the cylinders by firing sequence as much as practical. This is good for torque and bottom end perfomance.
Single planes  draw all from the same plenum and use runner length and  the availablity of all four barrels of the carb to make extra power. They typically are not as torquey down low and midrange strong as a dual plane.
However
The Edelbrock Perfomer RPM is a serious piece of manifold that has huge port runners  at the proper length with a generous plenum. It is the best of both worlds and a cut above most other manifolds. It is particularily well suited to our engines in traditional tune . It does not belong in the catagory of "just dual planes" but is a cut above (make that a thick slice above. )
If we could get Vic and his Daughters to make us a 2X4 set up with a Performer Rpm design then we would really have some fun.
Food for thought though Many 273s and 318 were single plane from the factory in the early years of the la motors so a single plane can be made to work down low with small runners to speed up velocity. (Port velocity helps torque. )
The Max Wedge single 4bbl (Yes Virginia they really did make them and I have one)  was originally built in a single plane then came the rev2 manifold that is a dual plane and a very well designed manifold. It was said at the time to be 14 HP over the single plane design.
The single plane is not always the best set up. It depends on what you want the engine to do.  Our engines have strong midrange and bottom end with a respectable top end . The competition has very little botttom end grunt and a so so midrange, They are more of a top end motor so when you are building a  B wedge to compete it is wise to concentrate on what makes these engines great. and to build your combo around these unusual charcteristics. Otherwise it is like trying to make Merle Haggart an opera singer. (Like Why  ruin a good thing?) Build on strengths is my motto. A well set up Mopar wedge can have the race won long before the bowtie begins its charge. Then all you need is enough HP to hold him  off up top. I am talking about stock based iron headed  stuff here by the way not the megabuck superflow 300cfm plus hidollar setups
Don
Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)
http://stores.ebay.ca/Don-Dulmage-Enterprises

[AD removed for archives]
Get a FREE* MP3 Player - yours to keep! Click Here Now!
caadeMpbOyW3Nf/MP3 Player Giveaway

----

bOyW3N.