From: Douglas J
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 7:55 PM
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: 413 compared to 383 ?

[AD removed for archives]
Get a FREE* Portable Satellite Radio - yours to keep! Click Here!
caac8uybOlZxua/Portable Satellite Radio Promotion

Hi all.

I've been lurking here for a year or so, enjoy the conversations, and all
that everyone has to offer.  I've been a long time Mopar guy, with Hemi's, a
Superbird, Runners, GTX's, Chargers, Cudas,, all the good stuff in the past.
  Since I was 16 tho,, there has always been a 62-65 Mopar in the garage.
All the other goodies are gone,, a 63 Plymouth Sport Fury ragtop remains.
25 years ago, I bought it and put a quick paint and interior job on it, and
dumped in a fresh 383 magnum out of a 69 Charger in it.  The 200,000 mile
361 is still in the garage just in case.  The 383 got a purple shaft, and a
set of heads off of a 440 that had triple springs and a fresh valve job from
a GTX I used to race, before I went to stage 4 heads.  It still runs quite
nice, but I have a 413 sitting out behind the shed in what is left of a 64
NewYorker parts car that is just bothering the heck out of me.  Was a time I
thought I needed to make a 426 out of it,, but now I think I'd like to keep
it a 413.  The one in the 64 NewYorker that I used the parts on was a fine
running engine, and besides,, I like the way "413" rolls off the tongue !
Anyway, I havent done alot of work on cars for several years due to family
commitments, a job that required way too  much of my time, and lately, a
daughter in college.  Seems I've forgotten alot of what I used to know. As I
recall, the 413 was rated at 350 hp, the 383 at 330.  I'm thinkin of goin
thru the engine, maybe another purple shaft or equivilant, a new intake and
carb, and headers.  The question for you guys is, what do you think of the
heads on the old 413 ?  I dont have the money for a good set of aftermarket
heads, so I'm wondering if the heads off of the 383 might  be a significant
improvement over the stock 413 heads ?  If I remember right, the later heads
have larger valves, better flow ?  I do plan to sell the 383 after the
transplant, so pulling the heads off of it does have it's drawbacks, but if
its going to make a marked difference I'd do it.  (It would make a nice
addition to my brothers '70 Charger 500 which has an incredibly enemic 318
in it now).  So what do you think?

BTW, past Mopars that would be of interest to this group are, a 63 Fury
which I owned for 25 years that had motors from the original 318 poly, a
340,  to a 426 max wedge, (which was a partial trade for the Superbird) to a
dual quad  440 that it left here with, (it ended up in Wisconsin), 2 '64
NewYorkers,
a 62 300, a 64 Belvedere 2dr post, 63 Sport Fury hardtop,  a '62 Savoy 413
Max wedge, 2 dr sedan (shoulda kept that one). a 64 330,  a 65 Coronet 500,
and a 66 Sport Fury. (You'd think I'd know more about heads).

Sorry this got so long, once us old guys wake up its hard to shut us up !
(Old age aint for sissys)

Thanks; Big Jake

[AD removed for archives]
Would You Like Your Money 2-Day? Get started now! TaxBrain Online.
caac8vpbOlZxuf/TaxBrain

----

[AD removed for archives]
Need a Laptop? Get a Sony Vaio Laptop Free!
caac8usf/ProductTestPanel

----

http:///u/?.