Re: My project"64 Plymouth Valiant"

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 07:51:27 -0400, Stone, Peter A (Jefferson)
<pstone0002@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am in the process of building a 1964 V-100 Plymouth Valiant
> 2-door hard top, I purchased a 241 hemi out of a 54 Dodge truck, and I
> am going to install the baby hemi in the Valiant along with the three
> speed trans. Has anyone done anything like this before, if so I would
> love to hear feedback and advice.

I have a poly 318 on an engine stand, and a '65 Dart (same engine bay
as yours) with an empty engine bay.  I did some measuring over the
weekend, and while I don't remember the actual numbers, the distance
between the closest parts of the inner fenders is only a couple of
inches wider than the widest measurement between the heads on the poly
motor.

Aren't the heads on an old hemi even wider?  It also looked like the
steering box might get in the way of the block, and certainly be in
the way of the exhaust manifold on the driver's side.  Mine has power
steering, so a manual box may give you a little more room, but I doubt
it would be enough to make much of a difference.

Also, remember that an old hemi is a lot heavier than a slant-6 or an
LA small block, so you'll probably need to put in some heavier torsion
bars to hold it up.

Good luck!
-- Tony  tony@xxxxxxxxxx
'64 Dodge 440